Stick to baseball, 10/28/17.

No new Insider content this week, as I was writing up the top 50 free agents package. That and a look at the offseason trade market will run the week of November 6th. I did hold a Klawchat on Thursday.

I spoke with Arizona’s KJZZ about my book Smart Baseball and the rise of Big Data in the sport. You can find links to buy the book here.

I also run a free email newsletter with personal essays and links to everything I’ve written since the previous newsletter. If you’re already a subscriber, thank you, and yes, I’m overdue to send another one out.

And now, the links, with boardgame stuff at the end as usual…

Comments

1. Ben Shapiro is a cheap whore who will write whatever his base wants to hear, facts and/or logic be damned. It’s too bad it’s not apropos to put it on my CV that I got him fired from the student newspaper at UCLA when we were both working there, because its one of my great accomplishments in academia.

2. Sterling Abernathy

Ben Shapiro’s response to Tomlinson’s hypothetical was well reasoned and thoughtful.
    Shapiro is educated at Harvard law school and UCLA and provides sound conservative arguments.
    He also did not vote for Trump and criticizes him regularly.
    Feel free to criticize his thoughts, but childish name calling by leftists is inappropriate.

• I don’t see how his alma maters make any difference here.

• I am wondering if you could elaborate on what was wrong with Shapiro’s response. The original hypothetical is clearly very flawed.

• I thought Shapiro’s points 1 and 3 were reasonable, but think he completely missed with points 2 and 4. It also seseems me, to me at least, that Shapiro was engaging with a bit of a straw man. I didn’t read Tomlinson’s thought experiment to say that embryos have *no* value, but rather as an argument that we all inherently understand that there is a tangible difference between embryos and autonomous humans,

Full disclosure – after his interactions with Zoe Tur, I will never see Ben Shapiro as anything more than a smarmy PoS.

• I think I agree with your straw man point, but it doesn’t really change the argument if one assumes that we put a small (but non-zero) value on embryos. We protect tons of things through laws that have small value relative to a 5 year old.

What’s wrong with point 4? This scenario is completely unrealistic and we do not make policy decisions on hypotheticals like these.

• A Salty Scientist

Meh. I’m pro-choice, but I’m not a fan of the thought experiment. My moral calculus would have me save my kids before I saved someone else’s, but that does not mean that my kids have more societal value. More importantly, my moral calculus is my own and not inherently *right.”

• I also think there has to be some influence in the fact that the 5 year old knows he’s in danger and is engaging with you. If it’s a 1 on 1 decision, and one person is crying out for help and the other is unaware of the danger, I would guess I’d choose the person asking for help. I’m not sure when/if the number of unaware people in danger tilts it in their favor.

• My issue with point 4 is he’s saying the thought experiment is a hypothetical, and not reality. To me, this is 1) obvious (since Tomlinson describes it as a thought experiment and never pretends it’s reality), and 2) disingenuous. After all, Shapiro is engaging with the thought experiment. To then turn around and criticize it for not being a real world situation falls flat for me.

As for how policy decisions are made, I’m not sure that’s really the point. Though I’m a cynic in that I don’t think policy decisions are made based on rational thought, so take my view with a hefty grain of salt.

• I think his point (and I agree) is that the thought experiment is a really silly defense of abortion, and if it did go viral, I have no problem with Shapiro showing that it’s really silly.

Regarding hypotheticals dictating policy, I’ll rephrase: we *should* not make policy decisions based on them. A lot of people, for example, feel differently about the death penalty when the victim is a loved one.

• “childish name calling by leftists is inappropriate”

Given that Ben Shapiro engages in name-calling ALL THE TIME, I beg to differ.

• You either don’t complain about his name calling or you don’t engage in it.

3. The link for Scythe is going to the Anthony Bourdain story. Just a heads up.

4. Yeah, I’m guessing Harvard isn’t taking the name off one of its art museums, which was named after a member of the family who was dead before Oxycontin was even developed.

• I doubt they do anything either, but I don’t think the timing matters in the least. If the name Sackler is associated with the opioid addiction crisis and thousands of deaths, should any university want it on a building? I’d say no.

• I can’t agree with you on this one. The fact that later generations have been so stained by avarice does not invalidate all of the important impact Arthur Sackler has and will have on the history and stewardship of art.

5. “Are Florida voters dumb enough to…”

Yes. The answer is always yes.

6. Eric Hartnett

“Boardgames! The Kickstarter for ROOT, a new asymmetric game from Leder Games and designed by Cole Werlhle, known for An Infamous Traffic and Pax Pamir, blew past its modest $24K funding goal in the first five days.”

FTFY You missed, or intentionally omitted (I hope the latter), the main reason why ROOT ”blew past its $24K funding goal in the first five days.” It’s all about the designer. How many board games put you in the opium trade?

7. Keith: Re the Weinstein allegations and Trump’s verbal confirmation of his own sexual harassment: have the actions of Bill Clinton gone down the memory hole? I’m no Trump defender in any sense of the word and I think he is slime but boy, his issues PALE in comparison to Bill and to somehow ignore that is reprehensible. A 50 year old president in the Oval Office forcing a 20 year old college intern to give him head? Disgusting. And they coming from a die hard social liberal…although one with daughters.

• I think because those were, in a rough sense, litigated and dismissed, they’re just forgotten. He was credibly accused of rape, accused by several other women of harassment, and yet still emerged as a respected statesman. I don’t buy it, myself, but I also don’t like the idea that his wife is somehow responsible or should bear any of the disgrace for what he did.